Strengthening Families DVD Learning Lessons
The Strengthening Families Program is a component of MADD’s underage drinking prevention campaign, Power of Parents, It’s Your Influence. It is recognized as a nationally and internationally family skills training program found to significantly reduce problem behaviors, delinquency, and alcohol and drug abuse in children and to improve social competencies and school performance. The program was developed by Dr. Karol Kumpfer at the University of Utah and has been proven effective in 17 countries.
The program includes a home-use DVD for parents with ten 30-minute lessons. This easily allows parents to take home and use an internationally acclaimed family skills program together with their kids. Reaching parents and kids together results in a huge increase in family bonding and a dramatic decrease in alcohol and drug use.
Highlights of MADD’s Strengthening Families Program:
- 60+ downloadable handouts
- Relatable adult & youth hosts
- Engaging real family therapists
- Conducted online in a fun classroom setting
- Deals with real-life problems & solutions
In this ten-part series, parents and youth will have entertaining and instantly available tools to improve family communication, problem solving, positive discipline all helping kids make healthy choices to stay alcohol and drug free.
Lessons cover the following topics:
1. Notice & Compliment the Good
2. Communication Skills & Family Meetings
3. The 5 R’s for Successful Families
4. Limits, Consequences, Encourage Good Behavior
5. Problem Solving & Negotiation
6. Stress & Anger Management
7. Using Goals & Contracts
8. How Alcohol & Other Drugs Hijack the Brain
9. Choosing Friends & Monitoring Kids’ Activities
10. Share Values & Be an Agent for Change